DBUnit and CSV reference data

The CSV capabilities of dbUnit are under-documented. Here’s the results of some pain, suffering and debug tracing: The CSV files are expected to be one-per-table. The tablename is part of the filename, thus: “TABLE1.csv”. Format is the usual, with the first row containing the column names and subsequent rows containing ( more… )

JSF2 Annotations Ignored

I couldn’t figure out why when I tried to retro-fit an old JSF project for JSF2 annotations the annotations weren’t being processed and the managed beans weren’t being instantiated. Duh. The JSF2 annotation processor defers to faces-config.xml. My faces-config still said JSF 1.2 in the faces-config element and related xmlns ( more… )

The Dark Side of the Nook

I knew that people were unhappy with the Nook Tablet because it reserved a lot of memory for itself, but I hadn’t realized how far the rot has truly run. One of the reasons why this unit appealed to me was that I expected it to continue the open-ness of ( more… )

RichFaces “columns” tag doesn’t display columns

The RichFaces manual show this example on using the “columns” tag: <rich:dataTable value=”#{capitalsBean.capitals}” var=”cap”> <rich:columns value=”#{capitalsBean.labels}” var=”col” index=”index”> <h:outputText value=”#{cap[index]}” /> </rich:columns> </rich:dataTable> There is no corresponding sample Java code. That’s very unfortunate, since in the absence of any better documentation, the natural thing to expect is that “capitalBeans.labels” would ( more… )

JPA and overlapping complex keys

If at all possible, you should avoid setting up databases with complex keys (or compound keys, as they are sometimes known). It makes life a whole lot more complex, and in a world where everyone already says you’re taking too long because “All You Have To Do Is…”, complex isn’t ( more… )

JPA and Fixed-length text fields in databases

Lucky me. I took over a system whose database is awash with compound keys. The more I work with this stuff, the more justification I find for always having a simple sequence key as the primary key, despite the apparent extra overhead. I’ve had a long-running problem where parent-child (one-to-many) ( more… )