[SOLVED] mail loops back to me (MX problem?) for virtual machine
Sometimes they just gang up on you.
I was migrating my sendmail server from a NAT address to a bridge address when it all started.
Xen has this really nasty habit of zapping your hardware MAC address if you don’t get the nat routing configure just right. There’s obviously some way to get it to revert, because occasionally for no obvious reason, the real MAC address will revert, but don’t try searching the web for an answer – all you’ll get is fruitless inquiries and flame responses (you shouldn’t be changing your MAC address, idiot!). Please. There are very good reasons why it’s useful to be able to set a custom MAC address. One place I worked coded their hardware asset IDs in the MAC to assist their DHCP server, for instance.
On the mousetech domain, I’d be happier if it didn’t happen. As it is, the MAC addresses of the primary and secondary NICs got swapped and I didn’t find out until I’d gotten most of the way through fixing things. So the former eth0 became eth1 and vice versa.
Shortly thereafter, outbound mail started bouncing with the infamous “mail loops back to me” message. Since I’d just done major relocation on the mail VM, I wasted a LOT of time messing around with sendmail options to no avail. Normally this message can be cured by putting in a valid MX record in DNS and/or adding all the mailserver alias names to the sendmail local-host-table (cw table). Not this time.
I was fairly sure that the problem had something to do with the fact that the physical host had been set up to forward all port 25 (smtp) requests to the mail VM and that somehow the wrong IP address was getting mixed in, but I could see the actual routing since it was all internal and specific to port 25 to boot.
Turns out I’d been sloppy when I fixed up the iptables forwarding. The correct version (after the NIC mixup) looks like this:
-A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 25 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.1.8:25
Where I went wrong was in being lazy and omitting the NIC ID (eth0) when I repaired the damage that Xen did. As a result, BOTH NICs were being re-routed – the actual internet-facing NIC (which should be routed) and the internal DMZ bridge-facing NIC (which should not). As a result, traffic on port 25 for eth1 was being routed back on itself and sendmail complained.